18 December 2009

XX Lessons

I have moved. I have learned somethings in the process:

I. Never listen to MPF staff. That overseas checklist that should not apply to CONUS to CONUS moves...does... so a bunch of other stuff they said did apply. Get a list in writing. When they deviate, call in their Chief. It's pretty funny to watch sometimes. If you are IN MPF, quit telling people things that aren't true! There is a word for that! If you don't know, say so, then find out!

II. I have too much stuff.

III. Living on a 3rd level apartment is great. Moving stuff out of it by yourself is not.

IV. U-Haul does not like to rent trucks to people. They also do not like it when their trucks are returned... at least that's how I interpret the lack of enthusiasm and the ludicrously long waits that I encountered.

V. Truck scales are not open on Sundays.

VI. Dogs are no fun to move.

VII. HOAs are PITA, illogical, non-sensical organizations that, like unions, are way more trouble than they are worth.

VIII. Don't PCS or move at Christmas. Everyone has parties and they generally occur when you need to do business. I'm looking at you, 460th MPE! Who was a Christmas party on Tuesday at noon with a a waiting room full of customers?

IX. Get the truck the next size bigger.

X. Appliance dollies > all other dollies... for nearly anything! They do stairs and can be worn like a backpack to move them quickly on unladen trip legs.

XI. Chik-fil-A has reheatable trays of food.

XII. Lowes > Home Depot

XIII. Kwikset locks are full of fail.

XIV. OSS holsters work... barely, but they work.

XV. Cats love the kitty city that is a room full of boxes.

XVI. My friends Lix and Bird plus my brother and sister are the bomb... Thanks, guys!

XVII. Pack the tools with the furniture.

XVIII. Pack the Cat V, the router, the modem, and the coax in the same box.

XIX. The best neighbors are no neighbors, but a close second is a retired Army officer.

XX. DITY moves are possibly not worth it.

I have a massive backlog of posts, but the next will almost assuredly be a Nuclear Power FAQ. In honor of Copenhagen and the deplorable lack of knowledge on the subject, I will draw on some of my awesome Air Force technical training plus a smattering of physics to set a few things straight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home