06 November 2009

Good enough for me...

...is good enough for "them".

I will state this as simply and politely as I can: When I have insufficient money for all I want and need, I have to cut spending. I hate doing it, it sucks, but I have so much money and it goes so far. When it ceases to go, I stop. I don't buy what I can't pay for in reasonable terms.

Let's contrast this with the various governments out there. It applies to nearly all of them, unfortunately. When, say, the State of California runs out of cash, they write IOUs or just go out and take it. In this case, taking it.

As seen in the L.A. Times, The State of California will withhold even more from people's paychecks. The taxpayers had no say. This sounds like theft. It is claimed that the extra withholding will be repaid in April. Wow. That makes it all better. Meanwhile, If I want extra money that I repay in April, I get charged interest. I will be very surprised if Californian taxpayers will be reimbursed with interest. Back to the analogy of myself, if I need a loan, lenders loan to me at their discretion. Nobody asked the Californian tax payers, they are being forced.

The State of California is unwilling to live within its means, so taxpayers there are about to get a reduction in take home pay. That could affect their budgets. What about this isn't criminal? If I need money and take a few bucks from my neighbor, I am a thief. Even if I give it back, I'm still a thief because I did not ask. Just because a government is a government, it does not have the right to arbitrarily take money from taxpayers on a whim. At very least, this should have been voted on by the taxpayers. I really don't care how good the cause is, this sort of behavior is unethical.

I must live within my means and while I may earn more, I may not take it. Any State should do the same. We are all taxed more than enough. Our belts tighten, the State's should too. I prioritize and budget, the State should too.

Finally, remember how nobody voted on this? In a very indirect way, people did. When we elect people that believe that the government is there to manage the people, this is what we get: a graby, greedy, gluttonous, insatiable beast and we lose our freedom and money. Next election, try voting for the people that believe that the government serves the people... not the ones who say that, but the ones who actually mean it. Remember slights like this and vote the bums out into the real world where the rest of us have to live.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home