14 October 2005

Ayn Rand is spinning in her grave.

"There are no hard distinctions between what is real and what is unreal, nor between what is true and what is false. A thing is not necessarily either true or false; it can be both true and false."

So said Harold Pinter. I'd laugh at the sheer idiocy if that statement was not so chilling... After reading that quote, I decided to read more. The man is a raving lunatic and not really that talented a writer... no better than anyone I went to school with. To question reality, though... wow. There is no hope for people like that. I find it odd, however, that since he can't see a difference between reality and irreality that he still finds it within himself to not only have opinions, but to energetically try to bring others into his camp.

Anyway, some moron decided that he deserved a Nobel Prize... probably the same people that decided that a terrorist deserved a prize for peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Right and wrong are just matters of opinion, so I expect that logically that position could be extended to include 'True' and 'False'.

As for 'Real' and 'Unreal', try defining them. When you have definitions, ask yourself whether things like God or The Soul satisfy the definition of reality. My guess is probably not - yet huge numbers of people will assure you that they are real. So what is real and what is unreal?

If you fancy a real mindfcuk, go to Wikipedia and look up Solipsism and Sophistry!

Enjoy.

18 October, 2005  
Blogger Charlie Foxtrot said...

Existance exists and nothing can change this. Real is what exists, unreal is what does not. To deny absolutes is to deny reason, even your own life.

19 October, 2005  
Blogger Liam said...

OK, so you define 'real' as 'that which exists' but you've used a tautology to define existence, which makes the definition meaningless. Therefore you haven’t defined reality.

Actually, ‘my own life’ is about the only absolute I can be sure about. It is demonstrated to me on a daily basis by my continuing experience. It’s the ‘rest of the world’ that I have trouble believing in – it does increasingly seem to be a figment of some deranged imagination! :o)

20 October, 2005  
Blogger Liam said...

Here's an interesting article I found on a blog which is along the lines of this thread.

23 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home