24 March 2010

The Smith

I have learned something about myself. I have described myself in the past as too much an artist to be a good engineer and too much an engineer to be a good artist. There is a name for that. They were called smiths in times past. A smith makes things, often without a pattern or even much forethought. They make things for a purpose, then for an aesthetic, at least that is how I see it when it's all said and done. That's about how I operate. I was in the basement last night, making a knife. I had an idea of what it should be, but no idea how to get there. I just did it. I just put things together and shaped them. I can work from a plan, but my best work is done without them. I can make pretty things, but my best works are the ones are the ones that are built to be nothing more than what they are. They are the ones that last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home