17 March 2010

Ding dong, the which is... retired...

I had to fire my phone after it pocket dialed 911 the other day. It was the last straw in a string of abuses. See, I used to have an LG Shine. It was great! It was perfect for Tetris and it did the usual phone things very well. However, it had a close encounter of the wrong kind with a Mag-Lite and that was the end of that. I had insurance on it, so AT&T sent me a replacement.

The cellular phone industry may be the one place where winds change faster than fashion and where obsolete is defined as anything over six months old. There was no more LG Shine, so AT&T sent me what they assured me was even better, an LG Xenon. Touch screen, slide-out full keyboard, the whole nine yards. Cool, right?

EPIC FAIL!

I can't use touch screens. I'm too old and have lost too much of my soul. That's how they work, right? Soul detection? Like in the Simpsons where Bart sells his? Anyway, I could not get the phone to behave. I'd reject calls I wanted answer, pocket dial people, turn the alarm off without touching the phone... it was bad. I pulled my "prehistoric" Nokia brick phone out of storage and used that until the bright, shining, moment that I got my Sony 905. 

It's a camera with a phone on it. Awesome! It has the usual Sony headaches, but I love it. It's about time such a device was sold here in the US. 

Anyone want an AT&T Xenon in really good shape?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home