31 August 2005

Breathless

I can hardly get a handle on what I see out of New Orleans. It's not that I find it hard to believe, it's when I think of the numbers... the number of people, the depth of the water, the time it will take to clean that up... All of these numbers are huge. I also hear of the damage done to Biloxi... It was not so long ago that I was there myself. Keesler AFB was smashed... the water by the Commissary/BX was six feet deep! That, by the way, is the same street that went past the Library, so I assume it got destroyed as well. Well, the thousands of tech school students there should be having an interesting time. You can bet that as soon as that base is straigtened out, a small army will be moving out into Biloxi to do good deeds. Red Horse is already on scene. I hope I get a chance to go down there and pitch in with those guys, but I very much doubt it.

As usual, people and organizations are pouring support into the area. Corporate donations from Wal-Mart and Lowes are headed down there, both companies announcing that these donations will not be accounted for, there will be no bill to foot except by those companies.

We will pull out of this. This is a blow to the entire world, but we will recover.

I would call on those who are politicizing this, though, to stop right now. It's not going to help one person or divert one gallon of water. Pitch in or shut up... okay, pitch in and shut up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

It is terrible. I have a great fondness for New Orleans. I could spend a long time in both the French Quarter and the Garden District. It’s gutting to think of them drowned. But it can all be rebuilt and restored. The death toll is looking increasingly bad though; thank goodness that most people had time to evacuate. My thoughts are with the city today.

31 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home