20 April 2010

For crying out loud: an SUV that rolls over

The Lexus GX 460 is a monster car. It's huge. It's heavy. It's an SUV. So uh... why is ANYONE surprised that it can roll?

This is madness. High ground clearance = higher center of gravity = easier to roll. Duh. So don't drive it like a Mini.

I saw some of videos of what it took to roll that thing on flat pavement. Anyone who drives any SUV, truck, van, or crossover like that gets what's coming to them. I guess it's just that today, in this era of "it's not MY fault", car companies have been forced to save us from our own stupidity. I bet I could kill myself in my own car if I tried hard enough. That is not in any way the fault of VW. It's my fault, and I submit that 99% of people that roll SUVs were doing something they should not have been. I've seen how people drive them, as I said, like Minis. You want a car that doesn't roll? Go buy a Lotus or settle down and drive like a sane person. Leave the makers out of it. That means you too, CR. SUVs roll. Maybe you should just put that in your buying guide OR do a uniform test to see how fast a car can take a cloverleaf before it rolls.

For further reading: A Nice Morning Drive. Man, this guy has some insight into the human mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home