29 April 2017

Science!™ vs science and a proposal for the First Lady of the United States

I'm lost. I don't know what to do. The First Lady has not provided me with instructions. Should I just eat what I want to? This is so confusing! I'm actually kind of offended that I am cared for so little. So, not lost, but offended am I. I need to be ordered around because I am unfit to decide things for myself. Why won't the First Lady order me around self righteously? Heartless fascist!

On a quasi related note, I want a burger. I have not had one in ages, and even though I know it will flush my guts out, I want one.

On a genuinely related note, what I'd really like to see the First Lady lead the charge on is science in schools. I came across an article on the esteemed Beeb about scientists being unable to replicate experiments...both of other boffiny types, but more distressingly, their own.

Looks like we need to get back to basics on the science, eh? I have noted that way too much "science" these days is theory, hypothesis, dogma, or, worst of all, lies. Science is based on the scientific method, wherein the scientist devises an experiment to test a hypothesis. Bonus points for publishing, obviously, but the key is to question, then test. You then go into the test not with an answer in mind, but with an open mind. The results are what they are, and if they can't be replicated, the experiment is defective of the hypothesis is wrong. Not difficult, unless you are using science as propaganda, and that is not something any scientist should tolerate. There is no room for dogma, prejudice, or persuasion in science. A thing is true or false, and if neither can be proven, you are off in the realm of theory.

I leaned all this as a kid, but it seems I was lucky.

More science! All the science! So much science! But let's do it for real...
Take it away, First Lady!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home