30 September 2005

Be SURE of your target and what is behind it...

I don't know how many times I've said it... it's one of three rules that I taught as a rifle instructor, rules that, if followed, keep gun accidents in the non-lethal realm. Here is an example of why.

Not sure I believe the guy's story, as humans and squirrels bear about no resemblance to each other, but the example still stands.

Incidentally, if you:
  1. Never let the gun cross or point at anything that you are not willing to destroy,
  2. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire,
  3. and always be certain of your target and what lies behind it
... you will never have a gun accident that causes death. Those are THE cardinal rules of gun safety. So simple! Please always use them. If you have a gun, chances are you know this, but there is always that one person... like that guy that kept swinging his rifle around last time I was at the range.

Oh there is a fourth rule, my personal one: Don't be a dumbass!
This covers all contingencies not covered by the other three. Eye- and ear- wear are not bad ideas, either... especially eyewear.

I guess it is hunting season... it snuck up on and once again I'm not out there (sad sad sad), so be safe!
If you are interested, here are the NRA's saftey rules. Longer and better than mine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home