12 August 2005

Your life is more than enough

I was taking a tour of the CNN news loop this morning as I waited to leave my post for the night* and what do I see but another story on Flight 358. Now, what do you suppose some of the passengers are up to? Envigorated by their second chance at life, grateful to halve escaped the jaws of firey death, it seems at least four of them are so happy to be alive when they should by all rights be burned to a crisp, they have...

FILED A LAWSUIT...

It's a class action suit, and one of two that judge is looking at. I really can't believe this...well, I can, but that's the sad part. This is not a first, either. Air Transat Flight 236 ran out of fuel at 34,500 feet. She was 150 miles away from anything, but the pilots brought her down without fatalities. There was a lawsuit... settled for 7.65 million...

Okay, I am hopping mad about this! This is beyond a 'for cryin' out loud' moment. I hate lawsuits in general, but this is because every one that I hear of is assinine... if anyone can tell me of about 200 just suits, I'd have a great deal more faith in mankind... anyway...

When you nearly die, but live anyway, your life is enough. Screw pain and suffering (the favored lawsuit claim), most people in the free world do not know the meaining of either word, particularly the latter. Injury? So what? In neither of these cases was anyone trying to hurt anyone else. Injuries happen. Life is a risky proposition... you can't live in a bubble, free from all possibility of harm. If you live life, you will be hurt and you should not be surprised when it happens.

In both these cases, the people who are filing the suits are turning around and slapping their saviors in the face, from the pilots who mitigated the severity of the crashes (though 236 not nearly as bad as 358) to the airlines who chose planes made by good engineers. You do not turn on those who help you, EVER. It is dishonorable in addition to being wrong. I hope the people filing suits of this nature become pariahs until they can prove that they are ready to be grown-ups again.

Let's look at the final aspects of this before I hit the hay...

Tragedy is not a license for profit. You are not entitled to money because something bad happened to you. If sombody sets out to do you harm, fine, punish them. Justice is on your side. However, if you incure damage and blame it on somebody who made a good faith effort to do you right and you try to hold them responsible, you are out of line. If you go further and demand money, you are no better than a thief and YOU are the one who is wrong.

I can certainly understand that injuries cost money to treat (I've incured many...), but you are not entitled to get another person to pay for it. Now, if an airline (in this case) helps out a bit, great! Good on them! Air France has been kicking money, as much as two grand, at the passengers of 358... however, nobody has a right to demand anything from them! If you are not in my camp already, you pay attention here... you pay attention WELL: You are entitled to nothing! You deserve nothing! When you incur a risk and the possibility of failure becomes definite, you are the only one responsible. You got on the plane. You got in the car. You skied down the hill... Nobody at the airline or the car company or the ski area wants to hurt you! They want you to keep doing business with them, in fact. There are the odd exceptions, but overall, it'a allllllll YOU! Be an adult, take responsibility!

So, I hope that the scumsucking leeches plaintiffs see the error of their ways, grow up, and thank the Good Lord, Air France, and Airbus for saving their lives. Yeah, I just insulted people I've never met... but people like them just make everything cost more for all of us.

Tune in soon for some words about
Cindy Sheehan and an answer to her question! Yes, I know the answer! I have it right here, and no, it's not freedom.

*It's not a contradiction... welcome to my world.... Charlie Foxtrot out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be intrigued to know what the basis for the suits is. If the airline and pilots took every reasonable measure (which is my impression), then I don't see any liability. Fly at your own risk.

15 August, 2005  
Blogger Charlie Foxtrot said...

You can read more about the suit at the CBC website. It is 100% legal, but still, IMAO, 100% wrong.

16 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home